VAN drivers are reminded that they will need a permit to use Halton’s household waste recycling centres.

Halton Council has introduced a permit scheme to prevent traders and commercial operators from using the sites.

Householders visiting in ordinary saloons, estate cars, or people carriers don't need a permit unless they have permanently blanked out windows or permanently removed rear seats.

Pick-up trucks are classed as vans and also need permits.

Those applying for permits will need to supply their name, address, vehicle details including ownership, and in addition proof of residency before permits can be collected.

Residents wishing to use such vehicles should ring 0303 333 4300 or visit for more details.

The sites in Gorsey Lane, Widnes, and Picow Farm Road, Runcorn, are now open from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week.