Halton women can now check if their partner has a history of domestic abuse

Victims of domestic violence can now check their partner's history

Victims of domestic violence can now check their partner's history

First published in Runcorn and Widnes World: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

PLANS to protect victims of domestic abuse have been welcomed by Cheshire’s Police & Crime Commissioner, John Dwyer.

The domestic violence disclosure scheme, known as Clare’s Law, will be implemented across Cheshire.

The scheme was developed following the tragic death of Clare Wood, a young woman murdered by her boyfriend at her home in 2009.

Clare was unaware her boyfriend had a history of violence against women.

Following a pilot, the scheme is now being rolled out across Cheshire and the rest of the UK.

John Dwyer said: "Domestic abuse occurs in all walks of life. It’s vital that we cross these barriers, re-iterating the message to everyone that domestic abuse is unacceptable and shouldn’t be tolerated.

“ Tackling domestic abuse and helping victims are two key priorities in my Police & Crime Plan."

"I am putting victims at the centre of everything I do. I have undertaken an extensive consultation exercise with victims to ensure I fully understand their needs, and will use the results of this work to commission services to help victims cope and recover from their ordeal.

“Victims must be confident that their needs will be taken into account should they take the courageous step to disclose information to the police."

If you’re worried about your partner, or a friend or relative’s partner, Cheshire Constabulary has produced a guide to explain the process. This guide will be available from local police stations and the Constabulary website.

If you have concerns about the person you’re in a relationship with, the scheme enables you to apply to the police to enquire if your partner has any history of domestic abuse.

If you’re worried that you may be at risk of domestic violence, contact the police using the non-emergency number 101, or dial 999 if you’re in immediate danger.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree