Send us news by text, start your message World News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Halton residents urged to check their electrical appliances
FIREFIGHTERS are warning Halton residents to make sure their homes are kept safe.
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service has teamed up with the Electrical Safety Council to cut the number of accidental house fires.
A new online tool has been launched in the run up to Electrical Safety Week which starts today, to help you assess whether or not you are overloading adaptors in your home.
Evan Morris, Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s head of community fire safety said: “This a great tool to show people how easy it is to overload plug sockets and adapters, which is a major cause of house fires.
“I would urge everyone to log on to our website www.cheshirefire.gov.uk and have a go at the application. It is easy to use, fun and potentially life saving.”
In 2012 there were 114 electrical fires in Cheshire.
This type of fire is often caused by simple things that people could check themselves and rectify for little or no cost.
By following a few simple steps, you can help keep you and your loved ones safe from fire.
Don’t overload plug sockets.
Regularly check for worn or frayed wires.
Unplug appliances when not in use.
Keep appliances clean and in good working order.
Evan added: "Electricity is an integral part of all of our lives from the essentials like heating and lights to luxuries like entertainment systems and beauty products. It is essential to be sure that your electrics are in good working order and are used properly.
“All too often, it is the simple things that people could check for themselves that can lead to a serious accident. So we are urging everyone to make basic visual checks around the home to ensure its electrical safety."
To access the online application or for more information about home fire safety please visit www.cheshirefire.gov.uk or follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments are closed on this article.