Send us news by text, start your message World News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Firefighters warn of grass fires in Halton
FIREFIGHTERS are warning residents to be vigilant after a spate of grass fires in Halton.
Scrubland caught fire in the latest incident at the unused St Michael’s golf course in Dundalk Road in Widnes.
Alex Waller, unitary performance manager for Halton said: "Fires of this nature can spread extremely quickly and can pose a real threat to people's safety and the environment.
“Although we are not sure at this stage what caused this fire, although we believe it was deliberate ignition.
"What starts off as a small fire can all too easily get out of hand.
“I would encourage parents to educate their children about the dangers of playing with fire,”
Firefighters give this advice: • Dispose of smoking materials properly and make sure they are completely extinguished.
• Don't leave camp fires or barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after use.
• Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to prevent them magnifying the sun's rays and starting a fire.
• Warn children of the dangers of playing with lighted fires.
If anyone has any information about people starting fires deliberately they should report it to Crimestoppers by calling 0845 555 111, anonymously, or call Cheshire Police on 101.